Delight your taste buds as you improve your health with the delicious combination of spices and nutrients in this dish. Coleslaw is made from one of the most powerful health-promoting vegetables in the food kingdom – cabbage. Cabbage is rich in fiber and vitamins A, C, and K, all of which are natural antioxidants that help prevent heart disease. The addition of chicken to this dish adds complete protein along with vitamins B6 and B3 which support energy metabolism throughout the body.
*Choose organic produce whenever possible*
For the coleslaw:
- 1 pound (455 g) chicken breast
- 1 cup (235 ml) filtered water
- 1 cup (110 g) carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 ½ cups (315 g) savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (155 g) diced fresh pineapple
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup each chopped fresh cilantro (4g) and mint (24g)
For the dressing:
- 1 cup (235 ml) coconut milk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon (20 g) honey
To make the coleslaw: Place the chicken and 1 cup (235 ml) filtered water in a saucepan over medium heat and steam until cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let it cool, then shred. Place the chicken in a large bowl and combine with the remaining coleslaw ingredients.
To make the dressing: In a separate bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients and pour over the top of the chicken. Serves 4.
Purchase your copy of The Great Cholesterol Myth Cookbook, also available where books and ebooks are sold.
© Fair Winds Press, 2014. All rights reserved.