By Stephen T. Sinatra, M.D., F.A.C.C., F.A.C.N., C.N.S., C.B.T.
Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, are a fantastic source of fiber, which is a mainstay for cancer prevention, cardiovascular wellness and overall health. Because they are low-glycemic, chickpeas don’t require much insulin for their digestion; hence they also are helpful in preventing or controlling diabetes. Red onion, rosemary and tomatoes add an extra dose of antioxidants along with strong, fragrant flavor.
*Choose organic produce whenever possible*
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 small organic tomatoes, diced
- ½ lemon wedge, squeezed
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and chill for several hours. Serves 4.
© 2014 HeartMD Institute, PA.