Spinach is a nutrition superstar that’s loaded with fiber, vitamins and minerals, and makes a great lettuce alternative in this vibrant salad. Adding tomatoes brings lycopene, a powerful antioxidant carotenoid, to the table, and walnuts and avocado are both fantastic sources of heart-healthy fats. Try to use organic ingredients as much as possible. Serves 4.
*Choose organic produce whenever possible*6 to 8 heaping cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 to 2 avocados, sliced into ½-inch cubes
- ¾ cup walnuts
- 1 basket of cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- Steamed asparagus spears, ends removed, sliced into 1-inch rounds
- Chopped raw broccoli florets
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt, Celtic or sea
- Dash of black pepper
Make the dressing: In a mason jar, combine all ingredients and shake vigorously. Mix together all salad ingredients in a large bowl. When ready to serve, drizzle enough dressing over salad to lightly and evenly coat, and toss well. Store extra dressing in refrigerator up to 5 days.
© 2014 HeartMD Institute. All rights reserved.