By Stephen T. Sinatra, M.D., F.A.C.C., F.A.C.N., C.N.S., C.B.T.
Spinach is a nutrition superstar that’s loaded with fiber, vitamins and minerals, and makes a great lettuce alternative in this vibrant salad. Adding tomatoes brings lycopene, a powerful antioxidant carotenoid, to the table, and walnuts and avocado are both fantastic sources of heart-healthy fats. Try to use organic ingredients whenever possible. Serves 4.
- 6 to 8 heaping cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 avocado, sliced into ½-inch cubes
- ¾ cup walnuts
- 1 basket of cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 1/3 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- Steamed asparagus spears, ends removed, sliced into 1-inch rounds
- Chopped raw broccoli florets
Make the dressing: In a small jar, combine all ingredients and shake vigorously. Mix together all salad ingredients in a large bowl. When ready to serve, drizzle enough dressing over salad to lightly and evenly coat, and toss well. Store extra dressing in refrigerator up to 5 days.
© 2014, 2019 Stephen Sinatra, MD. All rights reserved.