By Stephen T. Sinatra, M.D., F.A.C.C., F.A.C.N., C.N.S., C.B.T.
Chock full of nutrients and natural compounds that help fight cancer, cauliflower is a rock star superfood. What better way to enjoy it than in a delicious soup puree? This recipe is also perfect for just about any vegetable, and may be seasoned with your favorite herbs or flavored olive oil.
*Choose organic produce whenever possible*
- 1 cauliflower head, core removed and chopped
- 1 low-sodium organic vegetable bouillon cube, or 6 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, thyme, oregano and basil* (alternately, use dried herbs or olive oils flavored with basil, rosemary, or garlic)
- 4 heaping tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 – 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Place the cauliflower in a large pot with 6 cups water (or 6 cups vegetable stock, if using instead of bouillon) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 6 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender. Add the bouillon cube and herbs. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. This may also be transferred to a standing blender and pureed. Remove from the heat. Stir in the mozzarella cheese and serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serves 4.
*If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand, finish the soup instead with a drizzle of basil, oregano, or garlic flavored olive oil.
Original recipe © 2010 by Stephen Sinatra, MD, Jim Punkre and Rebecca Bent. All rights reserved. Adapted with permission from Bottom Line Books.