Fresh pineapple and strawberries are teamed with Serrano chilies for a sweet-spicy contrast typical of the flavorful foods of Asia.
*Choose organic items whenever possible*
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 5 fresh strawberries, finely diced
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped Serrano chilies
- 1 cup 1-inch fresh green bean pieces
- 1 teaspoon crushed walnuts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 5 cups fresh spinach or shredded purple cabbage
- Two 4-ounce tuna steaks
- 1 teaspoon light olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Heat a well-seasoned gas grill to medium heat for at least 4 minutes with the lid closed until it reaches 350°F. Or heat a seasoned grill pan on medium heat for 3 minutes. While the grill is heating, prepare the salad. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, strawberries, Serrano chilies, green beans, walnuts, salt, cayenne and cilantro. Mix until well combined and set aside. Prepare the grilled tuna. Rub the tuna steaks with the olive oil and salt. Place the tuna on the grill and cook 2 minutes per side for medium-rare, 3 minutes for medium and 4 for well done. To assemble, divide the spinach or cabbage between two plates, top with the salad and grilled tuna and serve. Serves 2
Purchase The Healing Kitchen here!
© 2010 by Stephen Sinatra, MD, Jim Punkre and Rebecca Bent. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission from Bottom Line Books.