By Stephen T. Sinatra, M.D., F.A.C.C., F.A.C.N., C.N.S., C.B.T.
Page last updated June 6, 2023.
In addition to writing numerous books and online articles at HeartMD Institute and Drsinatra.com, Dr. Sinatra has authored or coauthored the following peer reviewed journal articles, letters and presentations:
Earthing / Grounding:
- Sinatra ST, Sinatra DS, Sinatra SW, Chevalier G. Grounding – The universal anti-inflammatory remedy. Biomed J. 2023 Feb;46(1):11-16. doi: 10.1016/j.bj.2022.12.002. Epub 2022 Dec 15. PMID: 36528336; PMCID: PMC10105021.
- Sinatra ST, Oschman JL, Chevalier G, Sinatra D. Electric Nutrition: The Surprising Health and Healing Benefits of Biological Grounding (Earthing). Altern Ther Health Med. 2017 Sep;23(5):8-16. PMID: 28987038.
- The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Feb 2013.102-110.
- Chevalier G, Sinatra S, Oschman JL, Sokal K, Sokal P. Earthing: Health implications of reconnecting the human body to the Earth’s surface electrons. Journal of Environmental and Public Health, 2012.
- Chevalier G, Sinatra ST. Emotional stress, heart rate variability, grounding, and improved autonomic tone: clinical applications. Integr Med: A Clin J. 2011;10(3):16-21.
Integrative Medicine & Metabolic Cardiology
- Metabolic Cardiology: An Integrative Strategy in the Treatment of Congestive Heart Failure. Altern Ther Health Med. 2009 May/Jun;15(3):44-52.
- Metabolic Cardiology: The Missing Link in Cardiovascular Disease. Altern Ther Health Med. 2009 Mar/Apr;15(2):48-50.
- Alternative medicine for the conventional cardiologist. Heart Dis. 2000 Jan-Feb;2(1):16-30. Review.
- Coenzyme Q10 in patients with end-stage heart failure awaiting cardiac transplantation: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Clin Cardiol. 2004 Oct;27(10):A26; author reply A26, A30.
- Sinatra DS, Sinatra ST, Heyser CJ. The effects of Coenzyme Q10 on locomotor and behavioral activity in young and aged C57BL/6 mice. Biofactors. 2003;18(1-4):283-7. doi: 10.1002/biof.5520180232. PMID: 14695945.
- Relative bioavailability of coenzyme Q10 formulations in human subjects. Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1998;68(2):109-13. (Co-authored with R.K. Chopra, R. Goldman and H.N. Bhagavan.)
- CoEnzyme Q10: A Vital Therapeutic Nutrient for the Heart with Special Application in Congestive Heart Failure. Conn Med. 1997 Nov;61(11):707-711.
- Sinatra ST. Refractory congestive heart failure successfully managed with high dose coenzyme Q10 administration. Mol Aspects Med. 1997;18 Suppl:S299-305. doi: 10.1016/s0098-2997(97)00011-3. PMID: 9266540. [full article]
- Letter to the Editor – Coenzyme Q10 and congestive heart failure. Ann Intern Med. 2000 Nov 7;133(9):745-6.
- Letter to the Editor –“Care,” cancer and coenzyme Q10. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999 Mar;33(3):897-9.
- Sinatra ST. Co-Q10 formulation can influence bioavailability. Nutr Sc News. 1997;2:88.
Antioxidants, Nutrition and Heart Health:
- Campbell AW, Sinatra D, Zhang Z, Sinatra ST. Efficiency of spore forming bacilli supplementation in patients with mild to moderate elevation of triglycerides: A 12 week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Integ Med. 2020. Apr;19(2):22-27.
- Houston M, Minich D, Sinatra ST, Kahn JK, Guarneri M. Recent science and clinical application to nutrition and coronary heart disease. J Am Coll Nutr. 2018. Mar-Apr;37(3):169-187.
- Sinatra ST, DeMarco J. Free radicals, oxidative stress, oxidized low density lipoprotein (LDL), and the heart: antioxidants and other strategies to limit cardiovascular damage. Conn Med. 1995 Oct;59(10):579-88. Review.
Cholesterol and Heart Health:
- Is cholesterol lowering with statins the gold standard for treating patients with cardiovascular risk and disease? South Med J. 2003 Mar;96(3):220-2.
- Sinatra ST, Teter BB, Bowden J, Houston MC, Martinez-Gonzalez MA. The saturated fat, cholesterol, and statin controversy a commentary. J Am Coll Nutr. 2014;33(1):79-88.
Stress and Heart Health:
- Ventricular tachyarrhythmia and psychological stress. JAMA. 1987 Aug 14;258(6):783.
- The heart and mental stress, real and imagined. Lancet. 1985 Jan 26;1(8422):222-3. (Co-authored with L.A. Feitell)
- Stress and the heart–behavioral interaction and plan for strategy. Conn Med. 1984 Feb;48(2):81-6. (Co-authored with A. Kurien, H. Hatch, B. Montano, and D. Camaione.)
- A Stress Management Program with Biochemical Assay. Conn Med. 1982; 46(7):370-372.
- Sinatra ST. Heartbreak, heartache, and cardiac pain: a study of coronary-prone behavior. Bioenergetic Analysis. 1987.
- Sinatra ST. Stress, coronary prone behavior, and physiological over-reactivity: beyond type “A” behavior. Proceedings from the National Conference on Student Development, Storrs, CT. March 1987.
- Sinatra ST, Lowen A. Heartbreak and heart disease: the origin and essence of coronary prone behavior. Br Holistic Med. 1987;2:169-172.
- Sinatra ST, Lowen A. Cultural and bioenergetics applications in individuals with heart disease. Proceedings from the 8th International Bioenergetic Congress. Brussels: Societe Belge D’Analyse Bioenergetique. 1986.
- Sinatra ST, Chawla S. Aortic dissection associated with anger, suppressed rage, and acute emotional stress. J Cardiopulmonary Rehabil. 1986;6:197-199.
- Sinatra ST, Hunter SM. Stress and its physiological consequences to youth. Physician and patient. 1984;23-28.
- Stress: a cardiologist’s point of view. Postgrad Med. 1984 Jul;76(1):231-4.
- Sinatra ST. Stress in children. Heart Smart. American Heart Association, Hartford, CT. 1982.
Specific Cardiovascular Concerns and Other:
- Sinatra ST, et al. Cardiogenic shock associated with disopyramide phosphate. JAMA. 1980 Mar 21;243(11):1132.
- Enhanced atrioventricular conduction atrial fibrillation after lidocaine administration. JAMA. 1977 Mar 28;237(13):1356-7. (Co-authored with R.M. Jeresaty.)
- Sinatra DS, Sinatra ST. Inflammation and the Heart: A Commentary. Altern Ther Health Med. 2016 Sep;22(5):13-6. PMID: 27622955.
- Sinatra ST. Doctors have feelings too. Ann Intern Med. 1994 Aug 15;121(4):309.
- Sinatra ST. Letter to the Editor. J Myocardial Ischemia. 1994;6:5.
Exercise and Fitness:
- Middle age male distance runners: physiological and psychological profiles. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 1991 Sep;31(3):461-9. (Co-authored with C.M. Maresh, B.G. Sheckley, G.J. Allen, and D.N. Camaione.)
- Beneficial effects of exercise and current concepts in adult fitness. Conn Med. 1981 Oct;45(10):620-5. (Co-authored with D.N. Camaione.)
- Effects of Continuous Passive Motion, Walking, and a Placebo Intervention on Physiological and Psychological Well Being. J. Cardiopulmonary Rehabil. 1990;10:279-286. (Co-authored with G.J. Allen, DN Camaione and A. Abraham.)
Equine Health and Nutrition:
- Sinatra S, Chopra R, Jankowitz S, Horohov D, Bhagavan H. Coenzyme Q10 in equine serum: Response to supplementation. Journ of Equine Vet Science, 2012:32(12):805-815.
- Horohov D, Sinatra S, Chopra R, Jankowitz S, Betancourt A, Bloomer R. The effect of exercise and nutritional supplementation on pro-inflammatory cytokine expression in young racehorses during training. Journ of Equine Vet Science. 2012:33(2):71-73.
- Sinatra ST, Jankowitz SN, Chopra RK, Bhagavan HN. Plasma coenzyme Q10 and tocopherols in thoroughbred race horses: effect of coenzyme Q10 supplementation and exercise. Journ of Equine Vet Science. 2013:34(2):265-269.
- Sinatra ST, Caiazzo C. D-Ribose supplementation in the Equine: Lack of effect on glycated plasma proteins suggesting safety in humans. J Am Coll Nutr. 2015;34(2):108-12.